Law Auto Sales began as Law and Kowalk back in 1938. Francis X. Law, who fathered 10 children, 6 of which were boys, began the business with a small used car lot on Livernois Avenue with a partner by the name of Frank Kowalk.
As his sons grew older, Francis began to employ his boys and eventually split his partnership with Kowalk and moved the lot to Grand River Avenue near Oakman Boulevard. The company now assumed the name of Law Motor Sales.
The boys became adults and eventually branched out and began their own car lots. At one time there were 3 different lots within a quarter of a mile on Grand River competing against each other! Francis retired in the early 60's and his sons Nestor, Vincent and Thomas continued to run the various lots on Grand River while sons Dick and Jack took jobs at new car dealerships. His youngest son, Jerry, had died tragically in a car accident in Canada in the late fifties.
The core of the Metro Detroit car business eventually moved away from the Grand River/Wyoming area and the used car lots eventually found new locations as Nestor relocated on Schoolcraft near Outer Drive, Thomas on Grand River near Evergreen and Vincent on W. McNichols near Outer Drive. Nestor and Thomas would eventually retire their businesses while Vincent relocated his business to it's current location on Michigan Avenue in Wayne, Michigan.
The business was incorporated under the name of Law Auto Sales, Inc. in 1986 and is currently being ran by Vincent's sons, Vince, Jr and Jim, and Thomas' oldest son, Jere. The family business that started as a tiny cottage-type used car lot on Livernois in 1938 is now a major dealership in Michigan with a state of the art facilty with annual sales approaching 15 million dollars!